How to Accept My Awards
How do I accept my awards on myNKU?
Please use the following steps to access your financial assistance account:
- Go to https://mynku.nku.edu and type in your NKU user name (example: jones2)
- If you have not activated your password, please follow the "New Student" instructions to set your initial password at the web address listed above
- If you have previously activated your password, enter it and click Log On to access the portal
- Click the "Financial Aid" tab and find the "Academic Year" for which you are seeking aid
- Click the "Awards" tab to view and accept your offered awards
- For assistance with User ID and Password only, please contact the IT Solutions Center at (859) 572-6911 or (888) 225-4499
Financial aid award
You will not receive a paper award letter for your financial aid award. You will need to view and respond to your award offer via your myNKU account.
It is important to note that some awards have informational messages. The financial assistance listed is based on information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). These awards are based on full-time enrollment and may be prorated according to a student's enrollment.
Gift Aid (Grants, Scholarships, Waivers)
This aid will be accepted on your behalf and does not need to be repaid.
Subsidized / Unsubsidized Loan
IF YOU ARE A FIRST TIME LOAN BORROWER, YOU MUST SIGN A MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE (MPN) AND COMPLETE LOAN ENTRANCE COUNSELING ON WWW.STUDENTLOANS.GOV!
To complete the MPN, you will need your FSA ID number that you used to sign the FAFSA. If you do not have it you will be able to create an FSA ID when visiting certain U.S. Department of Education websites.
To sign your MPN go to www.studentloans.gov . You will first need to sign in to the web site with your Federal Student Aid ID. Click on the tab that says Undergraduate Student or Graduate/Professional Student. Next, click on the link that says Complete Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). Fill in the required information and submit. You will need the following information before going to the web site:
- Your social security number
- Your driver's license number
- Your permanent address and telephone number
- Two personal references, including complete name, address, and telephone number
- Your Federal Student Aid ID
Once you have completed the MPN you need to complete Loan Entrance Counseling. This will help you understand your rights and responsibilities that come with your student loans. Complete the Entrance Counseling and print off a copy of the confirmation page for your records.
For Loan Entrance Counseling, go to: www.studentloans.gov and click on "Complete Entrance Counseling".
Parent PLUS Loan
If the Parent PLUS loan has been accepted, the following steps must be completed in order to process the loan. The parent borrower* must be listed on the student's FAFSA. Upon credit approval and completion of all requirements, the loan funds will be disbursed to the school at the appropriate time.
Step 1 - Credit Check: The PARENT will need to go to www.studentloans.gov and sign in with THIER information. Click on the tab that says “Parent Borrower” and select "Apply for PLUS loan". Complete the application and submit. This process will immediately tell you if you have been approved or denied. If the loan is APPROVED, go on to step 2. If the loan is DENIED, the parent can choose to have the decision reconsidered, choose to get an endorser/cosigner, or they can have the student contact our office about additional aid eligibility. *Credit check expires after 180 days.
**PLUS Loan Counseling is only required for borrowers who have obtained an endorser or for borrowers who had an adverse credit history but were determined to be PLUS loan eligible because of satisfactorily meeting the “extenuating circumstances” provision. PLUS counseling is completed on www.studentloans.gov.
Step 2 - Master Promissory Note: PARENT needs to go to www.studentloans.gov. Click on tab that says “Parent Borrower” and select “Complete PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)” and follow the instructions. Be sure to complete process by submitting MPN.
Step 3 - PLUS Authorization Form: This can be found at: http://financialaid.nku.edu/forms.html. Print the PLUS Loan Authorization Form, complete and submit the form to our office. This form must be physically signed and a dollar amount must be included. Typed signatures are not accepted. Please be sure the form completed is for the correct academic year.
*Parent PLUS Loan Eligibility Confirmation Form
If the parent who is borrowing the Parent PLUS loan is not listed on the student's FAFSA, the *Parent PLUS Loan Eligibility Confirmation Form and required documents are required to process this loan.
Graduate PLUS Loan
If a Graduate PLUS Loan has been accepted, the following steps must be completed to process the loan. Upon credit approval and completion of all requirements, the loan funds will be disbursed to the school at the appropriate time.
- Complete credit check for approval at studentloans.gov -- Click on the link that says "Request PLUS Loan" and select "Graduate PLUS." Fill out the application and submit. Credit check information is only valid for 180 days.
- Sign a PLUS Master Promissory Note at studentloans.gov -- Click on the link that says "Complete MPN", select "Graduate Plus" and follow the instructions.
- Please if you are a first time Graduate PLUS loan borrower you will also need to complete Graduate PLUS Entrance Loan Counseling. To complete this counseling, please visit www.studentloans.gov. Sign in and click on "Complete Entrance Counseling". Be sure to select that you are a graduate/professional student.
There are important policies, federal regulations, and definitions concerning financial assistance that students need to know. Please become familiar with this information found in the Financial Aid Guide section of the Financial Assistance web page.