Financial Aid FAQ

  • + 1) How do you apply for financial aid?

    You must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to determine your eligibility. This application is available on-line at or at the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Your high school guidance counselor's office and most public libraries also have the paper applications.

  • + 2) When should I apply for financial aid?

    You should apply for financial aid every year by the March 1 priority date. After the first year, you will receive a PIN (Personal Identification Number) which will permit you to complete the renewal application on the web.

  • + 3) Once I have filed the FAFSA, how long will it take to determine my eligibility?

    Completion of the on-line application takes approximately three weeks. Awarding begins in May of each academic year. As long as the application is complete and no corrections are necessary it takes the office approximately two to four weeks for the student to receive notification. Students who complete the paper application can expect a four to six week processing time. At times the process can take 10-12 weeks.

  • + 4) My parents are currently separated or divorced. Which parent should I use on the FAFSA?

    If your parents are separated or divorced, the custodial parent should fill out the FAFSA. The custodial parent is the parent you have lived with the most in the past 12 months. If your custodial parent has remarried as of the date the application you MUST include the step-parent information. If you do not live with one parent more that the other, then the parent who provided the most financial support should complete and sign the FAFSA.

  • + 5) How much money will I receive once I apply?

    Receipt of federal or state grants depends on the family income, family size and financial assets. Eligibility will be determined once the Office of Student Financial Assistance receives your FAFSA. Award notifications will be sent to the student via a postcard that informs the student to access their myNKU account to view, accept and decline their award.

  • + 6) What is a PIN and what will I use it for?

    There are two separate PIN's (Personal Identification Numbers). One PIN is issued by the Department of Education and is specifically used for the FAFSA information. You will need to apply for a PIN at in order to file the FAFSA electronically. You will use the Department of Education PIN to sign your FAFSA, review your student aid report, and to make corrections on your FAFSA. This PIN will also be used to sign a Master Promissory Note if the student decides to borrow a student loan. Parents may also apply for a PIN in order to sign the FAFSA electronically. The second PIN is issued through Northern Kentucky University by the Office of the Registrar. This PIN is used to access the students Norse Express account. Initially this PIN is the student's date of birth in mmddyy order. After initial login to Norse Express the student is encouraged to change the PIN.

  • + 7) I have misplaced my PIN how do I apply for a new one?

    If you have misplaced the Department of Education PIN you can go on the web and have them send it to you via e-mail or your permanent address. To request your Department of Education PIN go to If you have misplaced or forgotten your Norse Express PIN please contact the Office of the Registrar at (859)572-5556.

  • + 8) If my parents do not claim me on their taxes, do I have to list their income on the FAFSA?

    Students are considered dependent and must submit parent income information unless they meet any of the following criteria: are 23 or older, in graduate school, married, have children or dependents, an orphan or ward of the court, or have served active duty as a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. Failure to provide parental income will cause the FAFSA to be incomplete unless one of the above conditions is true.

  • + 9) How do I apply for student employment?

    The FAFSA results determine Federal student employment awards, depending on your financial need and the availability of funds. Students who do not qualify for Federal student employment or those who do not file for financial aid can still obtain employment through the Institutional student employment program. On campus jobs are posted on the Office of Student Financial Assistance webpage and on the student employment job boards. One employment job board is located in the UC Center on the 3rd floor next to the Career Development Center. The second job board is located in the Lucas Administrative Center on the 4th floor outside the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

  • + 10) What is the difference between Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans?

    Subsidized loans are awarded based on financial need. You will not be charged any interest before you begin repayment or during authorized periods of deferment. The federal government pays the interest during these periods. You must be enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours in order to qualify for an in-school deferment. An Unsubsidized loan is not awarded based on the basis of need. You will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. If you allow the interest to accumulate while you are in school or during periods of nonpayment, it will be capitalized-that is it will be added to the principal amount of your loan and additional interest will be based upon the higher amount.

  • + 11) How can I find out information on my previous loans including the name of the lender?

    If a student has borrowed through the Stafford loan program all of the loan history including the lender information can be found online. The website where all the loan information can be found is

  • + 12) What if I decide to drop a class or to completely withdraw from my classes?

    If a student wishes to drop or withdraw from class they should refer to two policies that explain the consequences of withdrawing. One policy is called Satisfactory Academic Progress policy that explains the students GPA requirement and also the required number of earned hours. The second policy is the Return of Title IV Funds policy that explains what happens to the aid once the student completely withdraws from the university.

  • + 13) How much are tuition and fees?

    Tuition and fees are accessed from the Office of Student Account Services. 

  • + 14) Does NKU have a payment plan?

    Yes, the institution does have a payment plan. The tuition installment plan is also administered through the Office of Student Account Services. Please review at payment plan on the Student Account Services site.